Thursday 22 January 2009

Breastfeeding: Number one tip

I'm feeding my gorgeous Henry and can't help thinking how very glad I
am that I persevered with breastfeeding. In the early weeks it was a
real pain (quite literally!) as we had problems with the latch and not
to mention the tiredness and frequency of it all.

But with the help of Milk & Biscuits an La Leche League we found ways
of improving the latch and now I love it!! I am developing a
beautifully intimate relationship with Henry that I can't imagine I
would get from bottle feeding. I love it when he lies back to take a
break from feeding and gives me a huge grin, when during the bedtime
feed his hand brushes my waist or he looks into my eyes while gripping
my finger tightly in his tiny hand. I love that only I can give him
this special comfort and that as a result I am the centre of his
universe and he is the centre of mine.

So I'm going to share the best tip I had in the hope that it will
encourage a few more new mums to stick with breastfeeding for a bit
longer.

I can't remember where I read it, but the trick is to pull the baby
close to you, hugging him so that his tummy presses against you. Pull
his hips in close and think about his legs wrapping around your body.

I've had a lot of good tips on getting a good latch, but this is the
one that's made the most difference to our feeding and has made it so
enjoyable. I hope it helps you too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment