Monday 5 January 2009

Eco-cleaning for lazy people: Homemade Furniture Polish

I use this to treat my wooden kitchen work tops every month or so.  I find that the wood dries out through everyday use and cleaning, so I clear them off completely and treat them to this moisturising lotion - afterwards they have a lovely silky shine and the colour of the wood deepens again.
  • Half fill an old jam-jar with olive oil ( I use a cheap light one, not extra-virgin as I worry about the colour staining)
  • Top up with white vinegar
  • As an optional extra add your choice of essential oil
  • Put the lid on tight and give the mixture a really good shake.  It'll separate out again so you have to shake it every time you use it
  • Dip a clean, dry cloth into the mixture and wipe over the surfaces
  • You might like to use another clean, dry cloth to wipe off any excess oil
It smells a bit like a chip shop when the polish goes on, but as it dries any odour disappears.  I've also used this successfully on other wooden furniture, including garden furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment